Assistant Director of Facilities
Position Title: Assistant Director of Facilities
Supervisor: Director of Facilities
Grade: 57 Full-time, 35 hours per week, exact schedule to be determined. Exempt. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Assistant Director of Facilities will assist the Director of Facilities with the general management of the campus buildings; physical plant operations; oversight of the various service contracts; preventive and predictive maintenance programs; and safety and code compliance issues. The Assistant Director of Facilities will assist in the management of a broad range of operational components for the department including personnel, budgets, policies and procedures, projects, and institutional events. He/she will be the lead contact during the absence of the Director of Facilities for all matters related to the Facilities Department, to ensure high quality of service and timely response to requests; will also oversee minor capital projects, and building and system repairs by outside contractors as assigned. This position is an essential personnel position at Dumbarton Oaks and is required to work even when other staff may be off duty.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage work procedures and exercise oversight of custodial, janitorial and housekeeping staff in the Facilities Department, including housing and all related requirements.
- Conduct Facilities Department staff evaluations and annual performance reviews. Provide training and coaching; implement progressive discipline and any follow-up requirements for staff under his/her supervision. Inspect the buildings on established schedule to identify maintenance issues.
- Support events (most of which are in the evening and on weekends) including oversight of: maintenance of equipment, service of food and drink, and the installation and de-installation of events, in close collaboration with the Events Manager.
- Assist in the management of service agreements and contractors hired to perform Facilities-related work for Dumbarton Oaks, including the establishment of scope of services and work to be performed, acquisition of bids, participation in the selection of vendors, inspection of work performed, and verification and approval of invoices.
- Assist in the planning, preparation and maintenance of operating budgets, including invoice processing; and timesheet management.
- Assist Director of Facilities in the day to day management of physical plant of the campus and supervise the engineering department when assigned.
- Supervise mail room and central receiving operations, including processing and distribution of received items and shipment of outgoing items and all other related items. Provide oversight of vehicle maintenance.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Facilities, participate in meetings and interact with other departments at Dumbarton Oaks to ensure effective communications.
- Other duties as required.
- 6-8 years of experience in Facilities with minimum of 4 years in supervisory/management role.
- Working knowledge of the Building Systems, Structures, BAS Systems and HVAC equipment.
- Proficiency with computers: able to use Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and to master rapidly computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- IFMA Certified Facilities Manager (CFM) or other relevant Facilities certifications.
- Stationary Engineering or HVAC License.
- Working knowledge of Siemens Apogee. Master’s Degree or above.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign and other design software is highly desirable. Work-related experience in a museum, library, or cultural organization.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and other safe workplace practices.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with staff, guests and the visiting public.
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Must be able to perform the duties of the position, including but not limited to; walking to inspect multi-level historic buildings (not all of which are easily accessible) and oversee personnel; stand for long periods of time; lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally.
The position remains open until September 29, 2014. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below:
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).