Position Title: Gardener (Temporary)
Supervisor: Director of Gardens and Grounds
Department: Gardens and Grounds
Duration/Hours: 10 weeks/40 hour workweek, 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. __________________________________________________________________________________________
Assists in the general maintenance of the Dumbarton Oaks gardens and grounds. Actively participates in the daily care and maintenance of this historic 16-acre property including 10 acres of formal gardens and terraces. Works under the direction of the garden director and crew leaders, with particular responsibility for the specialty duties pertaining to the crews’ designated sections of the gardens.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general ground maintenance: planting, pruning, mowing, edging, fertilizer applications, pool and fountain care.
- Operates and maintains machinery and equipment used in performance of these duties.
- Assists in preparing the gardens for daily public visiting hours, including removal of debris from walkways and steps.
- Assists with other areas of the garden and special projects as needed.
- Works independently and with supervision and as a member of a team.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Strong gardening skills and familiarity with gardening tools
- Must have a strong interest in horticulture and the environment
- Ability to communicate in English both verbally and in writing
- Conversational fluency in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Endurance to walk, stand, kneel, bend, stoop, and climb
- Strength to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Eligible candidates should submit a resume via email to HumanResources@doaks.org, via fax at 202-625-0283 or via postal mail to
Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection
1703 32nd Street, NW Washington DC 20007
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer