Department: Information Technology
The IT Manager’s role is to ensure the streamlined operation of the IT department in alignment with the mission of Dumbarton Oaks. The IT Manager will design and coordinate the IT-related activities of the organization, as well as provide administrative direction and support for daily operational activities of the department. The position will be expected to define and prioritize projects; assign tasks to team members; and work with them to schedule and complete the tasks in a timely manner. The IT Manager will work closely with supervisors in other departments to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. High-priority areas include: updating existing network infrastructure to handle expanded and new capabilities; ensuring the extension of these capabilities to a nearby building currently under renovation; planning and implementing the installation of a campus-wide wireless network; and identifying long-term storage solutions for digital assets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the IT department’s operational and strategic planning, including fostering innovation, planning projects and organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources.
- Manage IT staffing, including recruitment, supervision, training, and evaluation.
- Manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade and support of all IT systems including servers (Windows and Linux), desktop/ laptop (PCs and MACs), as well as software, peripherals, and other hardware.
- Oversee the improvement and growth of the IT infrastructure and IT systems.
- Plan and implement the installation of campus-wide wireless network, to include a new building under renovation at a short distance from the main campus; undertake any infrastructure upgrades required for increased network capability.
- Manage financial aspects of the IT department, including purchasing, budgeting, and budget review. Develop projects justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Establish priorities and implementation timelines for approved projects and work requests.
- Oversee the selection and implementation of a Digital Asset Management system.
- Develop and implement IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, and disaster recovery; standards, purchasing and service provision; and digital asset storage and preservation.
- Manage and oversee projects and project portfolio under the guidance of the Director and in close collaboration with project leaders in other departments.
- Schedule regular intake meetings for discussion and support of current and future digital projects. Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the department heads and end-users regarding pertinent IT activities.
- Develop requests for proposals.
- Negotiate and administer vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Keep current with the latest technologies.
Minimum of a Bachelor's degree required. 6 to 8 years of progressive IT related work experience. Strong technical knowledge of network, Linux, MAC and PC operating systems. Strong technical knowledge of current network hardware, protocols and standards. Must have experience defining projects (both short and long term), prioritizing tasks and operating budgets in an IT structure as well as projecting timelines and meeting deadlines. Understanding of project management principles.
Bachelor's or Master's in Information Technology or Computer Science or similar field preferred. 5 plus years' experience leading an IT infrastructure team is highly desirable. ITIL preferred. Agile training preferred. Security+ certification preferred. Experience with scholarly humanities projects, and/or experience working in an academic, cultural, or non-profit institution highly desirable.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant qualifications by clicking the link below:
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).