Museum Exhibit Technician
Supervisor: Director of the Museum
The Dumbarton Oaks Museum is seeking a full-time Museum Exhibit Technician to join the team responsible for maintaining our exhibit galleries for maximum visitor experience. The Museum Exhibit Technician will prepare artifacts and art works for display and assist with design and installation of temporary and permanent displays. The role will perform a wide variety of tasks (interior design, construction, and installation of exhibitions; art preparation and handling; troubleshooting and repairs; maintenance of electronic and lighting systems).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform art handling of Dumbarton Oaks museum objects and objects on loan;
- Fabricate object mounts; prepare art for exhibitions; mat and frame works on paper, photographs and specimens;
- Construct and design scale or full-size models of objects and gallery spaces;
- Fabricate and install exhibit architecture and elements, such as cases, bases and interior built elements; mount and install exhibit graphics and wall panels;
- Produce specialized exhibit elements as designed and paint and/or finish galleries, furniture, exhibit components and/or spaces as required;
- Work closely with curatorial team to support the design and installation of changing temporary exhibits and conduct maintenance and repairs of existing collection-based exhibits;
- Assist in transporting, uncrating and handling works of art by using established and approved fine art and artifact handling techniques; fabricate and pack shipping containers;
- Assist in lighting design for all exhibits (in cases; track light in galleries);
- Assist in installation and implementation of electronic devices (iPads; Computer/TV screens and digital projectors);
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Candidates must have 5 years of production experience in exhibit fabrication, art handling and object preparation in a museum, educational or cultural institution. Advanced carpentry skills are essential.
Excellent communication skills, knowledge and expertise in relevant computer software (SketchUp, InDesign, PhotoShop) are preferred. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in museology, art, or a related field is preferred.
Must be able to lift objects up to 35-45 lbs occasionally.
Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter by February 15, 2014 by clicking the link below:
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).