Part-Time Library Assistant
Supervisor: Director of the Library
Department: Research Library
Grade: Casual position
Hours: 15 hours per week
Part-time position supporting a variety of functions in a distinguished research library (approximately 225,000 volumes) with world-renowned multi-language, multi-alphabet collections in Byzantine and medieval studies, garden history and landscape architecture, and Pre-Columbian studies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Interlibrary Loan Librarian with ILL requests using ILLIAD software: receiving and returning loans, preparing lending and borrowing forms, retrieving materials from the stacks and preparing them for ILL shipment.
- Assist Interlibrary Loan Librarian with Scan & Deliver service requests: processing outgoing and incoming requests to verify citations and availability, impose copyright restrictions, retrieve items, and scan articles for digital transmission to requestors.
- Scan original documents and digitally correct scans for use in online archive.
- Shelve books and shelf-read collections.
- Bibliographic searching for pre-order purposes.
- Other duties assigned as time permits.
The Library Assistant must be able to work 15 hours over three days each week. Work schedule is between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Exact schedule is negotiated between the successful applicant and the library director.
- Employment experience in a research library or archive.
- Experience using computerized library systems, with ILLIAD experience preferred (specify systems experience in curriculum vitae).
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History or humanities.
- Graduate coursework in library and information science is strongly preferred.
Language skills: Reading knowledge of foreign languages (specify languages in CV).
The physical requirements of this position relate primarily to collections shelved in a research library and work done in an office environment. The incumbent should be able to bend, stoop, and reach to retrieve library materials, and be able to push a fully laden truck of books. This position requires the ability to sit for extended periods of time associated with working at a desk with a computer and monitor.
The deadline for applications is November 27, 2013.
Candidates should submit a detailed curriculum vitae, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: KlosS@doaks.org.
Please use the email subject line “Part-time Library Assistant”
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).