Position Title: System Engineer
Supervisor: IT Manager
Grade: 57, exempt
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week, with evening and weekend hours as needed
The System Engineer has a wide range of responsibilities and oversees the maintenance and administrator of Windows servers. Sets up, configures, tunes, and troubleshoots servers; upgrades and patches system hardware and software; maintains backup systems and desktop images; analyzes systems operations for improving efficiency, working with vendors and Network Operations personnel to correct problems; acts as a technical resource/advisor for end users; ensures compliance with industry and standards for system security. Maintains and administers computer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations. Participates in the rotating “on call” schedule with other members of the team for providing support to the business and partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administration of the following systems as it relates to major improvements, enhancements and architectural design and implementation:
- Window Server Systems
- Active Directory (Maintenance and Integration)
- Server Virtualization (VMware)
- Exchange Administration
- Backup Systems Administration
- Data Center Hardware (Server, racks, etc.)
- Application and Desktop Virtualization (Citrix)
- Storage Management (Netapp)
- Endpoint, Server and Network Security Systems
- Oversee and provide technical direction for installation and configuration or server hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc., in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
- Document and maintain system technical standards
- Work with team members and vendors to research and recommend innovative solutions to meet business requirements on both a project and operational basis
- Other duties as assigned
At least five years’ experience in setting up, configuring, tuning, and troubleshooting servers; upgrading and patching system hardware and software; maintaining backup systems and desktop images; analyzing systems operations for improving efficiency; and working with vendors and Network Operations personnel to correct equipment/service problems. (Must have experience with cloud concepts (both public and private cloud), Cloud server, storage and networking systems, AWS or similar.)
Bachelor's degree and five years of related experience or equivalent. Comprehensive experience in systems administration with VMware, Windows servers, as well as OS X and Windows desktops. Solid understanding of networking fundamentals and security; experience with video encoding and streaming media is a plus. Must learn new technologies quickly and maintain a reliable and methodical approach to troubleshooting. Must have a highly positive customer service orientation, work well with others, a performance record of reliability and promptness, and a willingness to provide emergency support off-hours when necessary.
This position is open until filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and cover letter by applying at the link below:
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).