To the east of the Swimming Pool and Loggia is a rectangular area enclosed by wisteria-draped walls, originally designed by Farrand to be a tennis court. Beginning in 1959, Ruth Havey and Mildred Bliss redesigned the space into a pebble garden with pebbles imported from Mexico and set into
distinct patterns and colors, in the Italian manner. Curved limestone edgings enclose beds of thyme and sedum. The shallow pebble pool was designed to be covered by a thin layer of water, but is now dry.
At the northern end of the garden is a deeper pool with three lead eighteenth-century French sculptures originally located at the Meridian House in Washington, D.C., and given to Dumbarton Oaks by Mrs. S. W. Chandler in 1959. At the southern end of the garden are carved limestone cornucopias flanking the central pebble pattern of a wheat sheaf. Set in stone below is the Bliss family motto:
Quod Severis Metes (As ye sow, so shall ye reap).
More Exhibit Items
The brick and limestone ribbon walks simulate the quality of flowing cloth.
This small greenhouse is one of the oldest structures still standing on the grounds of Dumbarton Oaks.
The wide, shady branches of an enormous beech tree stretch over this quiet enclosed space.
This grassy terrace, shaded by a tall oak tree, provides panoramic view of the entire estate.
This small room features custom stonework, wrought-iron furniture, and a fountain ornamented with various constellations.
The swimming pool and beautifully decorated loggia attest to Dumbarton Oaks’ history as a private residence.
Blooming forsythia turns this corner of the gardens bright yellow at the beginning of spring.
When the trees blossom in springtime, this hillside becomes one of the gardens’ most magical spaces.
Hidden near the edge of the gardens, Lilac Circle offers a secluded spot for rest and contemplation.
Elaborate stonework and low flowerbeds play off trellises of wisteria in this stately courtyard.
The Urn Terrace serves as an ivied transition between the Beech Terrace, Box Walk, and Rose Garden.
A riotous variety of roses fills this sunny space between the Urn and Fountain Terraces.
A traditional flower garden in a blend of English Cottage and Arts and Crafts style.
This narrow brick walk wends through a dreamlike woodland spotted with daffodils and hyacinths.
A shallow pool sits at the bottom of a small brick amphitheater, bordered by a stand of bamboo.
The story of a terrier given to a Neapolitan girl by a French admiral inspired this column.