The Beech Terrace
Designed by Farrand in the 1920s around an existing Fagus sylvatica 'Riversii', the darkest of the English beeches, the terrace is surrounded by a brick and flagstone wall, chosen to approximate the building materials of the adjoining Orangery and Main House. The size and elevation of the terrace were chosen to accommodate the beech's root system and to disturb the drainage and root system as little as possible. But despite preventive measures, the tree declined and was removed in 1948 and replaced by a green-leaved American Beech Fagus grandifolia. Each spring, small bulbs of Crocus tomasinianus, Scilla siberica, and Chionodoxa luciliae, grow among the beech's exposed shallow root system.