The New Arcadians - Coracle Press
|Introduction||Tarasque Press||Coracle Press||Ian Gardner: The Allotment File and Tour Books||The New Arcadian Press|
When Simon Cutts opened Coracle Press in South London, he built upon the model of Tarasque by adding exhibitions to the small press agenda of publishing, book sales and poetry readings. Over the years Coracle has developed through numerous phases of activity in places as various as London (1975–1987) and subsequently Liverpool, Norfolk, Italy and Ireland. The consistent intention has been to involve artists, editors, poets and writers in the creation of an eclectic synthesis of word, image and print that could flourish in book form through exploration of metaphor, allusion, paradox and irony. The word 'Coracle' was well chosen. It invokes the craft object of the one-man boat (perhaps a metaphor of the book), and it also signifies adaptability. Designed to be carried on the back, a coracle enabled the traveller to walk on land and row across water. Two books within the Select Bibliography (below) are particularly significant because they encapsulate the momentum of Coracle's journey: Certain Trees (2006) offers a retrospective of achievements, networks and alliances; Some Forms of Availability (2007) charts the progress of a pragmatic, creative ideology and thus records the evolution of Coracle in all its manifestations, including workfortheeyetodo (London) and the foundations in The Trent Bookshop and Tarasque. Both publications demonstrate that Coracle's driving force has been Cutt's conviction that the poem's ideal manifestation is the book itself, even to the extent of the book form being the physical metaphor of the poem.
From: Some Forms of Availability: Critical Passages on the Book and Publication by Simon Cutts, Granary Books, New York / RGAP, Derby 2007
- 3>oo: New Multiple Art, Arts Council of Great Britain, London 1970.
- herman de vries, temporary travelling press publications / the eshenau summer press, kathmandu / eshenau 1974-.
- Rubber Stamp Publications, Aart van Barneveld, Stempelplaats, Amsterdam 1980.
- Ulises Carrion, Second Thoughts, Void Distributors, Amsterdam 1980.
- Something Else Press: An Annotated Bibliography, ed. Peter Frank, A Documentext Publication, McPherson & Company, Kingston, New York 1983.
- Imprimerie Clandestine, Le Point, Mars 1945, Lanzac, Lot; reprinted as Underground Presses, Pentagram Papers No.13, London 1986.
- The Artist Publisher, Coracle for the Crafts Council of Great Britain, London 1986.
- The Coracle: Coracle Press Gallery 1975–1989, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven 1989.
- Ian Hamilton Finlay & The Wild Hawthorn Press, Graeme Murray, Edinburgh 1990.
- Audio Arts: Beunruhigende Versuche zur Genauigkeit, Reclam, Leipzig 1992.
- Little Magazine Profiles 1939–1993, ed. Wolfgang Gortschacher, Salzburg 1993.
- Interaction & Overlap: From the Little Magazine and Small Press Collection at University College London, ed. Geoffrey Soar and David Miller, workfortheeyetodo, London 1994.
- Booktrek: The Next Frontier, ed. Clive Phillpot, 1st Artist Bookfair, Paris 1994.
- Bookmakers: Livres d'Artistes de Zona Archives, ed. Maurizio Nannucci, Firenze 1995.
- Trance & Recalcitrance: 20 years of Poltroon Press / The Private Voice in a Public Realm, Pacific Center for Book Arts, San Francisco 1995.
- L'Art Du Tampon, Musee de la Poste, Paris 1995.
- Bookworks: A Partial History and Sourcebook, London 1996.
- Johanna Drucker, Figuring the Word: Essays on Books, Writing & Visual Poetics, Granary Books, New York 1998.
- Steven Clay and Rodney Phillips, A Secret Location on the Lower East Side, Granary Books, New York 1998.
- The Presence of Landscape: Printed objects, cards and books, Coracle 1975–2000, Center Culturel Jean Gagnant, Limoges 2000.
- Repetivity: platforms and approaches for publishing, RGAP Derby 2000.
- Brian Lane: The Printed Performance, RGAP Derby 2001.
- When Will the Book be Done?, Granary Books, New York 2001.
- Outside of A Dog: Paperbacks and other books by artists, Baltic, Gateshead 2003.
- A la Carte: International Artists Postcards since the 60s, Neues Museum Weserburg, Bremen 2004.
- Guadare, Raccontare, Pensare, Conservare, Anne Moeglin-Delcroix, et al, Corriani Edizione, Mantova 2004.
- Colin Sackett, Englshpublshing: Writing and readings 1991–2002, Coracle, Clonmel / Sixtus, Limoges / Spacex, Exeter 2004.
- Vinyl: Project for Installation, Coracle for Cork 2005, Clonmel.
- Certain Trees: the constructed book, poem and object 1964–2006, CDLA, Saint-Yrieix-La-Perche 2006.
- J C C Mays, N. 11: A Musing, Little Critic 18, Coracle, Clonmel 2006.