Plan Your Visit - Tips for Museum Visitors
All parcels, umbrellas, and bags larger than 11" x 16"x 8" must be checked, including backpack-style child carriers. Bags in excess of the given dimensions containing needed medical equipment are allowed in the Museum. We also recommend that you check your coat.
When visiting the museum please refrain from the following:
- Touching any art objects
- Getting closer than 1 foot to any unprotected artwork
- Chewing gum
- Running, yelling, or disruptive behavior
- Cell phone usage
For the protection of the objects on view in the Museum, the following items are not allowed in the galleries:
- Food or liquids
- Backpacks, large bags, or portfolios
- Portable radios
- Flashlights or laser pointers
- Tripods or monopods
- Additional lighting
- Paints or easels without prior permission or a permit
- Pen markers
- Vine charcoals/pastels or soft drawing media
- Open containers or solvents
Film and photography:
- Non-flash photography is allowed; tripods and other professional equipment are not permitted. No videotaping, please.
- Photographs taken in the Museum are for personal use only; any publication or commercial use of images requires prior written authorization.
- Dumbarton Oaks reserves the right to withhold or withdraw permission to photograph on its premises at any time.
Visitors are welcome to sketch with pencil or charcoal on pads no larger than 12” x 18”.
For the safety of visitors and exhibits, you may be required to leave strollers and baby carriages in the Cloak Room.
All bags are subject to inspection by Museum staff.
No animals--except assistance animals--are allowed.
The Museum is fully accessible.
We allow and offer group tours of the permanent galleries in the morning only. (Tours are not available during the month of August.) Informal group tours are not allowed during public Museum hours.
Enjoy your visit!