You are here: Home / Publications & Online Resources / Bliss-Tyler Correspondence / Annotations / Annie Louise Bliss Warren

Annie Louise Bliss Warren

Annie Louise Bliss Warren (1878–1964)

Annie Louise Bliss was born on January 12, 1878, the daughter of William Henry Bliss and Anna Louisa Woods Bliss and the sister of Robert Woods Bliss. She attended Miss Hersey’s School in Boston, graduating in 1897. She married Charles Warren, a lawyer and legal scholar, on January 6, 1904; they resided first in Boston, Massachusetts, and, beginning in 1914, in Washington, D.C., at 1528 Eighteenth Street NW. They had no children. Annie Louise Bliss Warren was active in women’s affairs, serving as a Gray Lady with the American Red Cross at Walter Reed Army Hospital during the First World War and helping to found the Sulgrave Club, the Woman’s National Democratic Club, and the All Hallows Guild, which initiated and helped to finance the Bishop’s Garden at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C. The Warrens established a fund at Harvard University to provide for a professional bibliographer dedicated to the American History holdings of the Harvard University Library and its long-term development, and a scholarship fund at the New England Conservatory of Music, where Charles Warren was a trustee. After her husband’s death, Annie Louise Bliss Warren contributed to the construction of the National Cathedral in his memory. She died in Washington, D.C., on August 3, 1964.


"Annie Louise, Capital Leader," The Washington Post and Times Herald, August 5, 1964.

M. A. DeWolfe Howe, "Charles Warren," Proceedings of the Massachusetts Historical Society, 3rd ser., 71 (October 1953–May 1957): 390–98.

 

 

Document Actions

Bliss-Tyler Correspondence Bliss-Tyler Correspondence