Pavillon Colombe

Pavillon Colombe

Pavillon Colombe

Le Pavillon Colombe was the house on rue de Montmorency (now rue Edith Wharton) in St. Brice-sous-Forêt, Seine-et-Oise (now Val d’Oise), France, that Edith Wharton acquired in 1918. The house probably was designed and built by François Joseph Bélanger (1744–1818) in 1769 for Jean André de Vassal de Saint-Hubert, who offered it to his mistress, Marie Catherine Ruggieri (1751–1830), an actress known as Mademoiselle Colombe. For this reason, Edith Wharton named the house Le Pavillon Colombe. In 1918–1919, the house was renovated by Charles Moreux and Henri Gonse and landscaped by Lawrence Johnston.

 

Document Actions

Bliss-Tyler Correspondence Bliss-Tyler Correspondence