Mildred Barnes purchased a farm in Sharon, Connecticut, in 1898. She improved the house on the property, and built a double tenant house and a stable in 1905. When she advertised a long-term lease for the tenant house in 1908, at the time of her marriage to Robert Woods Bliss, she described the property as having approximately sixty-five acres of tillable land, acres of woodland for pasturing purposes, vegetable gardens, orchards, flower gardens, lawns, and a tennis court. In addition to the main house, there was a greenhouse, cold frames, guesthouse, garage, doghouse and kennels, stable, tenant house, cow barn and silo, ice house, barn, machine and tool barn, hen house, and pig sty. She decided to sell the property in 1909.