Walters Art Museum

Walters Art Museum

Walters Art Museum

The Walters Art Museum in Baltimore, Maryland, was founded in 1934. The museum's collection was amassed substantially by two men: William Thompson Walters (1819–1894), who began serious collecting when he moved to Paris at the outbreak of the American Civil War; and his son Henry Walters (1848–1931), who refined the collection and rehoused it in a large townhouse on Charles Street in Baltimore in 1909. Upon his death, Henry Walters bequeathed the collection of over twenty-two thousand works, as well as the original Charles Street building, to the city of Baltimore "for the benefit of the public."

 

Document Actions

Bliss-Tyler Correspondence Bliss-Tyler Correspondence