Wildenstein et Cie
In the 1870s, the merchant Nathan Wildenstein (1851–1934) began dealing in artworks. In 1905, he established the art gallery Wildenstein et Compagnie in Paris at 21, rue de la Boétie. The gallery subsequently moved to the rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré and then to 57, rue la Boetie. Nathan’s son, Georges Wildenstein (1892–1963), joined the firm in 1910 and became its president in 1934, at the death of his father. In 1903, Nathan Wildenstein and his associates, Ernest and René Gimpel, opened a branch gallery on Fifth Avenue in New York City. This gallery eventually relocated to 19 East 64th Street. In 1925, Wildenstein et Cie also opened a branch gallery on New Bond Street in London.