You are here:Home/Resources/ Middle East Garden Traditions/ Browse the Catalogue/ Lower Terrace of the Alcázar, al-Madinat al-Zahra’

Lower Terrace of the Alcázar, al-Madinat al-Zahra’

 
Catalogue
Andalusian Gardens
City
Cordoba
Country
Spain
Dates
953/957 1010
Authors
Antonio Almagro;
Luis Ramón-Laca

Description

The construction of al-Madinat al-Zahra’ (Medina Azahara) began in 936 during the reign of ‘Abd al-Rahman III (912–961) and continued during the reign of his son al-Hakam II (961–976). It was burned in 1010 by the Berbers. The town was organized on three terraces descending toward the river Guadalquivir and occupied a surface of 115 ha, of which only five percent has been excavated. Although in ruins, the terraces were still visible in the twelfth century: al-Idrisi referred to gardens and orchards in the middle terrace. The Lower Terrace was probably overlooked by a reception hall that has not yet been excavated and by a pavilion of the Upper Garden. It had a quadripartite shape with a pool underneath the reception hall.

 

Sources

  • Court Chronicle, 10th century
  • Archaeological Analysis, 20th century