Michael III (856–67)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1947.2.415 (formerly DO 47.2.415)
DO Seals 6, no. 49.3.
Zacos-Veglery, no. 56.
- 35 mm
- 25.94 g
- Two halves with loss of metal along the channel.
Half-length representation of Christ, bearded with a cross behind the head, wearing a tunic and himation. He raises his right hand in blessing and holds in his left a book with a cover ornamented with four rows of pellets, two pellets in each row. Circular inscription. No visible border.
Miχaηl imperator basileus.
Michael, imperator [and] basileus.
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 3, Leo III to Nicephorus III (717–1081)