You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ (The church?) of the Theotokos Eleousa (twelfth century)

(The church?) of the Theotokos Eleousa (twelfth century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2061
Diameter 20 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 75.3; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1149.

Obverse

Bust of the Mother of God (partially effaced); her left hand is visible, partially lifted with palm inward. Visible at right: Θ: [Μ(ήτηρ)] Θ(εοῦ). Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of two lines. Wreath border.

ηε
λεου
σα

Ἡ Ἐλεοῦσα

Translation

Ἡ Ἐλεοῦσα.

The (Theotokos) Eleousa.

Commentary

A church of the Theotokos Eleousa was built on the orders of John II (1118–1143) at the Pantokrator monastery. See Janin, Églises, 175; and Speck–Sode, Berlin II, no. 369. Another church and monastery of this name are also known at Constantinople (Janin, Églises, 176–177). Janin, Grands Centres, 380–381, lists a church of this name at Thessalonica and another, but of late date, at Trebizond (272). See also ODB 3: 2157.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2061
Diameter 20 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 75.3; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1149.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2061
Diameter 20 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 75.3; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1149.

Parallels

Related Content