You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The proedros (= bishop) of Bonditza (eleventh century)

The proedros (= bishop) of Bonditza (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2454
Diameter 16 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 4.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 681.

Obverse

Inscription of three lines, cross above. Border of dots.


ΘΚΕ
ΟΗ
ΘΕΙ

Θεοτόκε βοήθει

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Border of dots.

Α
ΕΔΡΩ
ΟΝΔΙ
ΤΗΣ

προέδρῳ Βονδίτζης

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει προέδρῳ Βονδίτζης.

Mother of God, help the bishop of Bonditza.

Commentary

The seal is anonymous. There is no space at the bottom of the obverse or the top of the reverse for a name, no matter how short, to have been engraved.

Modern Bonitza (toponym of Slavic origin) situated on the southern coast of the gulf of Ambrakia. The see, attested since the early 10th century (Darrouzès, Notitiae, no. 7, line 576), always occupied the first rank among the suffragans of Naupaktos. Cf. Laurent, Corpus V/1, 515, and Soustal, Nikopolis und Kephallenia, 128-29.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2454
Diameter 16 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 4.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 681.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.2454
Diameter 16 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 2, no. 4.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 681.

Parallels

Related Content