You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The monastery of Docheiariou (eleventh/twelfth century)

The monastery of Docheiariou (eleventh/twelfth century)

 
 

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael wearing loros and holding long scepter and globe. Inscription: ΜΧ: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Border of dots.

ΣΦΡΑΓ,
ΜΟΝΗΣ
ΤΔΟΧΕΙ
ΑΡΙΟΥ

Σφραγὶς μονῆς τοῦ Δοχειαρίου

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael wearing loros and holding long scepter and globe. Inscription: ΜΧ: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Border of dots.

ΣΦΡΑΓ,
ΜΟΝΗΣ
ΤΔΟΧΕΙ
ΑΡΙΟΥ

Σφραγὶς μονῆς τοῦ Δοχειαρίου

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.3278
Diameter 16.0 mm; field: 13.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 28.2.
Cf. a specimen with the same inscription but from a different boulloterion in the Numismatic Museum of Athens, published by Konstantopoulos, no. 10, and Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1225.

Translation

Σφραγὶς μονῆς τοῦ Δοχειαρίου.

Seal of the monastery of Docheiariou.

Commentary

The monastery of Docheiariou, initially dedicated to St. Nicholas, was first situated in Daphni. It then moved inland, and was finally established in its present location and dedicated to St. Michael sometime between 1083 and 1108 (see Oikonomides, Docheiariou). This seal is presumably from the period after the church was renamed, although it is conceivable that the image of St. Michael might just as well indicate a specific devotion that led us to its rededication.

The peninsula of Mount Athos was a territory reserved for monks from the ninth century on. The origins and early history of the monastic community, which from the beginning was dedicated to the Virgin, are discussed by Denise Papachryssanthou in Prôtaton. The central administration, located in the town of Karyes, was supervised by an elected protos, who together with his council, also administrated communal properties, while the monasteries maintained their independence.