Manuel I Komnenos (1143–1180)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1955.1.4350 (formerly DO 55.1.4350)
DO Seals 6, no. 93.3; Zacos–Veglery, no. 107b. For a similar seal, sea Seibt, Bleisiegel, no. 29a.
- 39 mm
- 25.08 g
- Scrape (rev.).
Half-length representation of a beardless Christ, wearing a tunic and himation and holding the right hand in blessing and a scroll in the left. He has a nimbus cruciger; each arm contains a decoration. Sigla at left and right: [Ἰ(ησοῦ)]ς Χ(ριστό)ς. Inscription in two columns: ὁ [Ἐ]μ[μ]ανουήλ. Border of dots.
Manuel standing to front on a dais, wearing a crown and a loros, an end of which is draped over the left wrist and is decorated with seven pellets. He holds a labarum in the right hand and an akakia in the left. Circular inscription, beginning at 6:30. Border of dots.
Μαν[ουὴ]λ δε[σπό]τ(ης) ὁ πορφυρογέννητ(ος).
Μανουὴλ δεσπότης ὁ πορφυρογέννητος.
Manuel porphyrogennetos, despotes.
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Die byzantinischen Bleisiegel in Österreich, vol. 1, Kaiserhof
- Molivdovuly Grecheskogo Vostoka
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 4, Alexius I to Michael VIII (1081–1261)