You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ (The church?) of All-Saints (eleventh century, first half)

(The church?) of All-Saints (eleventh century, first half)

Accession number BZS.1955.1.4934
Diameter 15 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 66.1c.


Patriarchal cross on steps with fleurons rising from the base beyond the second cross bar. Pellets at left and right of the transverse bars and above the top of the cross. No inscription. Border of dots.


Inscription of four lines preceded by decoration. Border of dots.


Ὑ ἅγιυ πάντες


Ὑ ἅγιυ πάντες



Two instances of iotacism on the reverse: line 1: (Οἱ); and line 2: ἅγι(οι).

This specimen may have belonged to the All-Saints church built by Leo VI to honor his first wife Theopano (died 892). See Janin, Églises, 389–90. But one can not rule out that it may have been issued by a metochion of the same name belonging to the Bithynian monastery of Heraklion or to an oratory of All the Saints in the quarter called τὰ Εὐβούλου (ibid., 390). There is also the possibility that this seal belonged to the church of All-Saints on the Bosporos, a sanctuary attached to the monastery built by Patriarch Tarasios. The church was Tarasios's final resting place. See S. Efthymiadis, The Life of Patriarch Tarasios by Ignatios the Deacon (BHG 1698); 159.