Constantine VII and Zoe (914–19)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1958.106.530 (formerly DO 58.106.530)
DO Seals 6, no. 58.1; Zacos–Veglery, no. 64b; Oikonomides, Dated Lead Seals, no. 57. See also DOC 3.2: p. 533 and n. 37.
- 23 mm
- 4.34 g
- One-third missing. No channel.
Bust of the Mother of God, nimbate, wearing a chiton and maphorion and holding a medallion of Christ before her. Circular inscription. Border of dots.
[Ὑπερ]αγία Θεοτόκε β(οήθει)
Two busts: at left, Constantine VII, beardless, wearing a crown surmounted by a cross and a chlamys; at right, Zoe, larger than Constantine, wearing a crown surmounted by two pinnacles and a cross and a loros. Between them they hold a large ball topped by a long cross. Remains of a circular inscription at right. Border of dots.
. . . CEΖΩΗROMˊ
[Constantino] ce Ζωῇ b(asilis) Rom(aion).
Ὑπεραγία Θεοτόκε βοήθει Constantino ce Ζωῇ basilis Romaion.
Most holy Mother of God, help Constantine and Zoe, basileis of the Romans
- A Collection of Dated Byzantine Lead Seals
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 3, Leo III to Nicephorus III (717–1081)