Constans II (647–51)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1958.106.541 (formerly DO 58.106.541)
DO Seals 6, no. 19.5; Zacos–Veglery, no. 15c.
- 25 mm
The Mother of God standing, wearing a chiton and maphorion, and holding Christ before her. Her left leg is bent at the knee. A cross potent at left and right. Incuse border.
Constans II standing, with a long beard and mustache. He wears a crown with a cross and a chlamys, and holds a globus cruciger in his right hand. His hair is worn long at the sides and curls outward. The figure is identified by a circular inscription beginning at left, but the only certain lettering is to be found at right. Wreath border.
[D(ominus) n(oster) Constant]inus p(er)p(etuus) aug(ustus).
Dominus noster Constantinus perpetuus augustus.
Our lord Constans, eternal augustus.
- Moneta Imperii Byzantini : Rekonstruktion des Prägeaufbaues auf synoptisch-tabellarischer Grundlage
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 2, Phocas to Theodosius III (602–717)