John I (969–76)
- Accession Number:
- BZS.1958.106.643 (formerly DO 58.106.643)
DO Seals 6, no. 66.1; Zacos–Veglery, no. 74a.
- 24 mm
- 20 mm
- Encrusted. No channel for suspension
Half-length representation of Christ, wearing a tunic and himation. He raises his right hand in blessing and holds a book in his left hand. He has a nimbus, perhaps a nimbus cruciger. Circular inscription. Border of dots.
Iη(su)s Χr(istu)s rex regnanti<u>m.
Two half-length figures. At left, John I, bearded, wearing a cross-topped crown and a loros, and holding a long patriarchal cross in his left hand. At right, the Mother of God, raising her right arm and blessing the emperor by setting her hand on his crown. Above the head of the emperor is the manus Dei, and above the Mother of God appears the siglum MΘ: Μ(ήτηρ) Θ(εοῦ). Circular inscription. Border of dots.
[Θ]εοτοc(e) bοήθ(ει) Ἰω(άννῃ) des(poti).
Iηsus Χristus rex regnantium.
Θεοτοce bοήθει Ἰωάννῃ despoti.
Jesus Christ, King of Kings.
Mother of God, help John, despotes.
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 6: Emperors, Patriarchs of Constantinople, Addenda
- Byzantine Lead Seals, vol. 1
- Catalogue of the Byzantine Coins in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection and in the Whittemore Collection, vol. 3, Leo III to Nicephorus III (717–1081)
- Catalogue des monnaies byzantines de la Bibliothèque nationale