You are here:Home/Visit/ Gardens

Dumbarton Oaks Gardens

In 1920, after a long and careful search, Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss found their ideal country house and garden within Washington, DC. They purchased a fifty-three-acre property, described as an old-fashioned house standing in rather neglected grounds, at the highest point of Georgetown. Within a year, the Blisses hired landscape gardener Beatrix Farrand to design the gardens. Working in happy and close collaboration for almost thirty years, Mildred Bliss and Beatrix Farrand planned every garden detail, each terrace, bench, urn, and border. The upper sixteen acres were transferred to Harvard University in 1940 to establish a research institute for Byzantine studies, Pre-Columbian studies, and studies in the history of gardens and landscape architecture.

Temporary Closure of the Gardens

The gardens are closed to the public until March 15, 2018. The museum will remain open.

Find out more

South Lawn

This grassy expanse is sculpted by the old driveway that approaches the house.

Orangery

This small greenhouse is one of the oldest structures still standing on the grounds of Dumbarton Oaks.

Green Garden

This grassy terrace, shaded by a tall oak tree, provides panoramic view of the entire estate.

 

 

Learn More