You are here:Home/Events | Exhibits/ Garden Centennial/ A Virtual Walk through the Gardens/ The Fountain Terrace/ Fountains

Fountains

Fountains

The two putti fountains were purchased by the Blisses from Paul Gouvert, a Parisian art dealer, for $4,000 on January 15, 1931. The fountains were installed that same year in the elliptical Aquia Creek limestone pools designed by Beatrix Farrand. Following Mildred Bliss’s changing taste and her admiration of Edith Wharton’s reflecting pool outside Paris, the fountains are French Rococo, and fit seamlessly into the aesthetic laid out by Farrand for Terrace D. One of the original two fountains was stolen from the garden on the night of August 25, 1978; local conservator Steven Tatti created a replica of the remaining fountain in April 1979.

Black-and-white photograph of the Fountain Terrace, 1931.
Photograph by Stewart Bros., 1931

Fountain Terrace fountain.
Photograph by Alexandre Tokovinine, 2009

 

Image: Photographer unknown, possibly 1970s

 

More Exhibit Items

Plantings
Plantings

South Gate
South Gate

Bench and Canopy
Bench and Canopy

Fountains
Fountains