Skip to Content

G. Morris Steinbraker & Son, Inc.

G. Morris Steinbraker & Son, Inc.

G. Morris Steinbraker & Son, Inc. opened its doors in Georgetown, on Grace Street NW, in 1944. For seventy years, the family-owned and operated general contracting service operated out of this local storefront. Founder G. Morris and his son George provided construction, restoration, carpentry, fine cabinetry, and custom windows, doors and bookcases to Georgetown residents. Their clientele included Blair House, the City Tavern Club, and politicians like Sen. Charles Percy of Illinois and Sen. Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia. In 2013, under the leadership of the founder’s grandson, G. David Steinbraker, the company moved their headquarters from Georgetown into Maryland, scaling back after 70 years in business.

Steinbraker & Son’s work for Dumbarton Oaks began in the late 1940s under the direction of landscape architects Ruth Havey and Robert Patterson. Their largest project was to provide carved limestone consoles, finials, and wall cappings for the newly-constructed North Vista walls. In addition, they constructed garden furniture and for the Arbor Terrace, Terrior Column, and Lilac Circle. They also drafted drawings and consulted on projects like the Mélisande Steps, the Cool House conversion into a Garden Center, and the Finalities tablet. For many years, Steinbraker & Son both constructed and repaired many garden areas for Dumbarton Oaks.



Dodd, Nico. “G. Morris Steinbraker & Son: Three Generations in Georgetown.” The Georgetowner. February 13, 2013.

Garden Archives Correspondence.

“Services: G Morris Steinbraker & Son Inc.” GeorgetownDC. Accessed January 14, 2014.