Vaughan's Seed Company
Vaughan's Seed Company was established by John Vaughan as a small business in Chicago, IL. in 1876. It offered wholesale seed and horticultural supplies primarily through catalog sales. The company letterhead shows locations at 47-49 Barclay Street, New York, N.Y. and 10-12 W. Randolph, Street, Chicago. The business eventually grew to include 5 greenhouses and nurseries in Western Springs, IL. becoming one of the major employers in the community.
Beatrix Farrand purchased seed to be sent to James Bryce for the Dumbarton Oaks Gardens in 1943.
Western Springs Historical Society. www.westernspringshistory.org/2012/10/01/vaughans-from-grass-seed-to-catalog-sales/. Accessed 2/18/2015.
Dumbarton Oaks Garden Archives, C3:Vaughan's Seed Store 1943.01.06 Dumbarton Oaks Research Library, Rare Book Collection. Dumbarton Oaks, Trustees for Harvard University, Washington, D.C.