You are here:Home/Research/ Library & Archives/ Dumbarton Oaks Archives/ Collections/ Ephemera Collection/ Jardins Italiens 3. Le Pratolino - L'Appenino

Jardins Italiens 3. Le Pratolino - L'Appenino

 
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0649
Creator
Places
Florence [Firenze] (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card

Description

TRANSCRIPTION

Jardins Italiens [Italian gardens]. - 1. Frascati - La Villa Aldobrandini

Produits Liebig: le meilluer de la viande [Liebig products: meat at its best].

Le Pratolino (près to Florence) fut acheté par le prince François de Médicis en 1568, et transformé d’après les plans du fameux architecte Bernardo Buontalenti. Les travaux, activement menés au début, se ralentirent bientôt, et ne furent terminés qu’en 1581, époque à laquelle la fontaine de l’Appennino de Giambologna (Jean de Bologne, natif de Douai) était déjà en construction. / La villa, construite sur une élévation de terrain, eut deux jardins, plantés de sapins et ornés de grottes merveilleuses avec des jets d’eau, des orgues hydrauliques et des figures actionnées par l’eau, des fontaines, des viviers et des étangs. Le tout fut l’œuvre de Buontalenti. / Ces jardins furent remis en état sous Cosme II. Puis, sous les Lorena, les constructions hydrauliques firent négligées, et en 1819 Ferdinand III, sacrifiant au goût de l’époque, transforma son domaine en jardin anglais, d’après les plans du Bohémien Joseph Frichs, qui fit démolir la villa même en 1822. Il ne reste plus, actuellement, que la statue de l’Appennin et quelques traces de la vieille splendeur disparue.

[The Pratolino (near Florence) was bought by the prince Francesco de’ Medici in 1568 and transformed according to the plans of the famous architect Bernado Buontalenti. The construction, actively maintained at the beginning, soon slowed down and was not finished until 1581, at which time the fountain of the Appennino by Giambologna (Jean de Bologne, native of Douai) was already under construction. / The villa, built on an elevated terrain, had two gardens planted with firs and adorned with marvelous grottos with jets of water, hydraulic organs and water-powered figures, fountains, pools, and ponds. Everything was Buontalenti’s work. / The gardens were restored under Cosimo II. Then, under the Lorenas, the hydraulic constructions were neglected, and in 1819 Ferdinand III, according to the taste of the time, transformed his estate into an English garden according to the plans of the bohemian Joseph Frichs, who demolished the villa itself in 1822. All that remains now is the statue of the Appennino and some traces of the old lost splendor.]

Collection

Ephemera Collection
 

Repository

Dumbarton Oaks Archives, 054.SUZ.02.PCbox.095
Dumbarton Oaks, Washington, DC
Accession number AR.EP.TC.0649
Creator
Places
Florence [Firenze] (Italy)
Italy
Date
1930
Measurements
2.75 x 4.5 inches
Materials/Techniques
illustration
Work types
trade card