You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ John bishop of Priene (eleventh century)

John bishop of Priene (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1947.2.139
Diameter 21 mm
Field diameter 18 mm
Condition Chipped along circumference; corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 30.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 291.


Bust of the Virgin holding the medallion of Christ before her. On either side the sigla: ̅-θ̅υ : Μ(ήτη)ρ Θ(εο)ῦ. Border of dots.


Inscription of four lines, a decoration below. Border of dots.


Θεοτόκε β(οή)[θ(ει)] Ἰω(άννῃ) ἐισκόπ(ῳ) Πριήνης.


Θεοτόκε βοήθει Ἰωάννῃ ἐισκόπῳ Πριήνης.

Mother of God, help John, bishop of Priene.


The ruins of Priene (also called Sampson, in the Middle Ages) are close to the village of Güllübahçe (Samsun Kale) on the side of Mount Mykale (Samsun dag) on the right bank of the Maeander. As a bishopric, it was first mentioned in the Council of Ephesos (431). A suffragan of Ephesos, Priene was listen in all notitiae from the seventh to the thirteenth century. Cf. Laurent, Corpus V/1, 205; Culerrier, Suffragants d'Ephèse, 158 (episcopal list); Brandes, Städte, 88-89; ODB III, 1717.