You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Philotheos (bishop) of Kyme (eleventh century)

Philotheos (bishop) of Kyme (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1947.2.206
Diameter 24 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 20.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 298.

Obverse

Bust of St. John the Evangelist blessing with his right hand and holding a book in his left hand. On right side part of a vertical inscription: ο|λο|γο|σ : [ὁ ἅ(γιος) Ἰω(άννης) ὁ Θε]ολόγος. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines preceded and followed by decoration. Border of dots.

·
+θεολ,
γεRοηθ,
φιλοθεω
κυμησ
·

Θεολ(ό)γε βοήθ(ει) Φιλοθέῳ Κύμης.

Translation

Θεολόγε βοήθει Φιλοθέῳ Κύμης.

Theologos, help Philotheos of Kyme.

Commentary

Kyme (modern Nemrut Köy), a coastal city to the north of Phocaea, was a suffragan bishopric of Ephesos mentioned in all notitiae from the seventh to the thirteenth centuries. Its first known bishop is attested in 431, the last in 1229. See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 211; Culerrier, Suffragants d'Ephèse, 156-57 (episcopal list).

Accession number BZS.1947.2.206
Diameter 24 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 20.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 298.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1947.2.206
Diameter 24 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 20.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 298.

Parallels

Related Content