Skip to Content
You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Byzantine Seals Collection/ (The monastery of) St. John Prodromos of Ganos (eleventh century)

(The monastery of) St. John Prodromos of Ganos (eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

Poorly preserved bust of (most probably) St. John the Baptist holding a long cross and scroll. No inscription visible. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.


Ι̅Ο
ΠΡΟΔ,
ΤΓ.
ΝΟΥ

Ὁ ἅγιος Ἰωάννης ὁ Πρόδρομος τοῦ Γάνου

Obverse

Poorly preserved bust of (most probably) St. John the Baptist holding a long cross and scroll. No inscription visible. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.


Ι̅Ο
ΠΡΟΔ,
ΤΓ.
ΝΟΥ

Ὁ ἅγιος Ἰωάννης ὁ Πρόδρομος τοῦ Γάνου

Accession number BZS.1947.2.88
Diameter 17.0 mm; field: 10.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 51.3.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1232 (with inaccuracies; dated to the 10th century).

Translation

Ὁ ἅγιος Ἰωάννης ὁ Πρόδρομος τοῦ Γάνου.

St. John the Prodromos of Ganos.

Commentary

This is obviously the seal of a monastery of Ganos dedicated to St. John the Baptist. We disagree with Laurent's hypothesis that this monastery was also the seat of the the protos. The inscription might possibly be a very poor fifteen-syllable verse.

Mount Ganos was a monastic center situated north of the Propontis and attested from the tenth to the fourteenth century. See Laurent, Corpus V/2, 152. It was composed of several monasteries and, like Mount Athos, was administrated by an (elected?) protos, attested as early as the eleventh century.

Bibliography

  • Catalogue of the Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and at the Fogg Museum of Art, Vol. 1: Italy, North of the Balkans, North of the Black Sea (Open in Zotero)
  • Le Corpus des sceaux de l’empire byzantin (Open in Zotero)