You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ George bishop of Sagalassos (tenth/eleventh century)

George bishop of Sagalassos (tenth/eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael holding a scepter and a globus. Sigla: Μ|ΙΧ|Α: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines preceded and followed by a dot ornament. Border of dots.

 
+ΓΕΡ
ΓΕΠΙΣΚ
ΟΠ,Σ.ΓΑ
.ΑΣΟΥ
 

Γεωργιος ἐπίσκοπος Σαγαλασοῦ

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael holding a scepter and a globus. Sigla: Μ|ΙΧ|Α: Μιχαήλ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines preceded and followed by a dot ornament. Border of dots.

 
+ΓΕΡ
ΓΕΠΙΣΚ
ΟΠ,Σ.ΓΑ
.ΑΣΟΥ
 

Γεωργιος ἐπίσκοπος Σαγαλασοῦ

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.270
Diameter 23.0 mm; field: 18.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 97.2.
Laurent, Corpus V/2, no. 1606.

Translation

Γεωργιος ἐπίσκοπος Σαγαλασοῦ.

George, bishop of Sagalassos.

Commentary

Sagalassos or Agalassos (near modern Aglasun) was a suffragan bishopric of Antioch of Pisidia and appears as such in all notitiae. Its bishops are attested in documentary sources from 381 onward. It was situated on the frontier between Anatolikon and Kibyrraiotai (De Them., XIV, 37) on the side of the latter, but we classify it together with its metropolis. See Laurent, Corpus V/2, 437; Zgusta, 523; Phrygien und Pisidien, 368-69.