You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Leo bishop of Bryelon and synkellos (eleventh century)

Leo bishop of Bryelon and synkellos (eleventh century)

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.936
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 10.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 282.

Obverse

Bust of the Virgin orans, the medallion of Christ before her. Part of an inscription visible: ̅- : Μ(ήτη)ρ [Θ(εο)ῦ]. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Border of dots.

θκ̅εR,θ,
λεοντι
επισκοπ,
Rρυελ
SσυΓεˊ

Θ(εοτό)κε β(οή)θ(ει) Λέοντι ἐπισκόπ(ῳ) Βρυέλου (καὶ) συγ(κ)έ(λλῳ).

Translation

Θεοτόκε βοήθει Λέοντι ἐπισκόπῳ Βρυέλου καὶ συγκέλλῳ.

Mother of God, help Leo, bishop of Bryelon and synkellos.

Commentary

Bryelon (or Brioula) is usually identified with the ancient town situated near the modern village of Bilara between Nysa and Hierapolis, on the north bank of the Maeander River. The see, a suffragan of Ephesos, is mentioned in all notitiae and seems to have been abandoned in the early thirteenth century. Its first bishop is attested in 431. See Laurent, Corpus, V/1, 197; Culerrier, 155 (episcopal list); Smyrne, 48-50.

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.936
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 10.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 282.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.936
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 12 mm
Condition Corroded.
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 10.1.

Laurent, Corpus V/1, no. 282.

Parallels

Related Content