You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Byzantine Seals Collection/ N., imperial spatharokandidatos and horreiarios of Panormos (eleventh century)

N., imperial spatharokandidatos and horreiarios of Panormos (eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

Patriarchal cross (X at crossing of lower arm) on a sphere, resting on two steps; three pellets at ends of cross bars. Fleurons arise from base (up to second bar). No epigraphy or border visible. 

Reverse

Inscription, the final two letters between horizontal bars. No visible border.

.Δ.
ΣΠΑΘ,.
ΚΑΝΔΙΔΑ
ΟΡΙΑΡΙ.
ΠΑΝΟΡ
Μ

.δ. β(ασιλικῷ) σπαθ(α)[ρ(ο)]κανδιδά[τ(ῳ)] (καὶ) ὁριαρί[ῳ] Πανόρμου

Obverse

Patriarchal cross (X at crossing of lower arm) on a sphere, resting on two steps; three pellets at ends of cross bars. Fleurons arise from base (up to second bar). No epigraphy or border visible. 

Reverse

Inscription, the final two letters between horizontal bars. No visible border.

.Δ.
ΣΠΑΘ,.
ΚΑΝΔΙΔΑ
ΟΡΙΑΡΙ.
ΠΑΝΟΡ
Μ

.δ. β(ασιλικῷ) σπαθ(α)[ρ(ο)]κανδιδά[τ(ῳ)] (καὶ) ὁριαρί[ῳ] Πανόρμου

Accession number BZS.1955.1.1720
Diameter 22.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 62.4a.

Translation

.δ. βασιλικῷ σπαθαροκανδιδάτῳ καὶ ὁριαρίῳ Πανόρμου.

N. imperial spatharokandidatos and horreiarios of Panormos.

Commentary

Today Panormos is Bandirma, east of Kyzikos (the dates of the seals preclude the Sicilian Panormos = Palermo). The city was renowned for its agricultural produce, as shown in the numerous seals of horrearioi that are preserved. It seems that the original name was Panarmos (this seal, BZS.1958.106.2266) and was transformed in Greek as Panormos because of a false etymology.

Bibliography

  • Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and at the Fogg Museum of Art, Vol. 3: West, Northwest, and Central Asia Minor and the Orient (Open in Zotero)