Skip to Content
You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Byzantine Seals Collection/ (Church or monastery) of St. John the Theologian (eighth/ninth century)

(Church or monastery) of St. John the Theologian (eighth/ninth century)

 
 

Obverse

A cross with an inscription in the quarters: τοΥ.|γι.. . Wreath border.

Τοῦ [ἁ]γί[ου]

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Wreath border.

ι
ννου
.ουθεο
λογ

Ἰωάννου [τ]οῦ Θεολόγου

Obverse

A cross with an inscription in the quarters: τοΥ.|γι.. . Wreath border.

Τοῦ [ἁ]γί[ου]

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Wreath border.

ι
ννου
.ουθεο
λογ

Ἰωάννου [τ]οῦ Θεολόγου

Accession number BZS.1955.1.4943
Diameter 27.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 82.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1688; Zacos–Veglery, no. 1357.

Translation

Το[ῦ ἁ]γί[ου] Ἰω[ά]ννου [τ]οῦ Θεολόγου.

(Church or monastery) of St. John the Theologian.

Bibliography

  • Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 5: The East (continued), Constantinople and Environs, Unknown Locations, Addenda, Uncertain Readings (Open in Zotero)
  • Le Corpus des sceaux de l’empire byzantin (Open in Zotero)
  • Byzantine Lead Seals, Vol. 1 (Open in Zotero)