You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Thomas bishop of Lampsakos (eleventh/twelfth century)

Accession number BZS.1958.106.2067
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 15 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 54.2b

Obverse

Bust of St. Parthenios blessing and holding a book. On either side, a vertical inscription: |ΠΑ|ΡΘ|Ε|ΝΙ,|Σ: ὁ ἅ(γιος) Παρθένι(ο)ς. Βorder of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of five lines. Decoration above. Border of dots.


ΗΣΦΡΑ
ΓΙΘΜΑ
ΛΑΜΨΑΚ̅
ΕΠΙΣΚΟ
ΠΟΥ

Ἡ σφραγὶς Θωμᾶ Λαμψακω(ν) ἐπισκόπου

Translation

Ἡ σφραγὶς Θωμᾶ Λαμψακω(ν) ἐπισκόπου.

The seal of Thomas, bishop of Lampsakos.

Commentary

Dodecasyllabic. Both this seal and BZS.1958.106.287 appear to be from the same boulloterion and are edited jointly.

Lampsakos (modern Lapsaki, oppiste Gallipoli on the east bank of the Dardanelles) was the site of a bishopric, suffragan of Kyzikos, from at least the 4th century (Laurent, Corpus V/1, 255). It is listed in all the notitiae until the beginning of the fourteenth century. The city was the cult center of St. Parthenios, a 4th-century saint and bishop, who appears on the seal of Bishop Thomas published below (54.2). See Laurent, Corpus V/1, 256; Janin, Grand centres, 206. ODB II, 1172.

Accession number BZS.1958.106.2067
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 15 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 54.2b

Notes

Accession number BZS.1958.106.2067
Diameter 17 mm
Field diameter 15 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 3, no. 54.2b