You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ (The church or monastery of) St. Sergios of the property of Hormisdas (eighth century)

(The church or monastery of) St. Sergios of the property of Hormisdas (eighth century)

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5295
Diameter 27 mm
Condition Chipped at top
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 58.2; Zacos–Veglery, no. 1368; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1918.

Obverse

A cross. Indeterminate border.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines. Indeterminate border.

.ουαγ
υσεργι
νορμ
δου

[τ]οῦ ἁγ[ίο]υ Σεργίου [τ]ῶν Ὁρμ[ίσ]δου

Translation

τοῦ ἁγίου Σεργίου τῶν Ὁρμίσδου.

... of St. Sergios of the property of Hormisdas.

Commentary

It is possible that on the reverse there was another line above the first one visible.

The full name of the monastery of St. Sergios was Sts. Sergios and Bacchos (ἐν τοῖς Ὁρμίσδου). The phrase ἐν τοῖς Ὁρμίσδου refers to the palace of Hormisdas, an imperial complex named after a Persian prince. According to the Patria (231 and 279) Justinian, while living at the palace, founded a church of Sts. Sergios and Bacchos before becoming emperor. He may well have added a monastery since an abbot of the μονὴ τῶν Ὁρμίσδου was present at the council of 536 (Janin, Églises, 451). A hegoumenos τῶν Ὁρμίσδου, Gregory, attended the second council of Nicaea in 787.

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5295
Diameter 27 mm
Condition Chipped at top
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 58.2; Zacos–Veglery, no. 1368; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1918.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5295
Diameter 27 mm
Condition Chipped at top
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 58.2; Zacos–Veglery, no. 1368; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1918.

Parallels

Related Content