You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ The monastery of Tripolis (eleventh century)

The monastery of Tripolis (eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael holding a scepter in his right hand and a globus cruciger in his left. Inscription: μ|ιχ|α : Μιχα(ήλ). Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, a decoration above. Final letter between two horizontal bars. Border of dots.


μον
ιστρη
πολεο
σ

Μονῖς Τρηπόλεος

Obverse

Bust of St. Michael holding a scepter in his right hand and a globus cruciger in his left. Inscription: μ|ιχ|α : Μιχα(ήλ). Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, a decoration above. Final letter between two horizontal bars. Border of dots.


μον
ιστρη
πολεο
σ

Μονῖς Τρηπόλεος

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5450
Diameter 25.0 mm; field: 17.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 92.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.3: no. 1945.

Translation

Μονῖς Τρηπόλεος.

(Seal of the) monastery of Tripolis.

Commentary

Traces of a first strike are visible around the border, especially on the reverse, where O | V | C may be seen on the left side, H | Δ on the other. Restoration of the inscription made by the first strike is not possible.

At present there is no compelling reason to place this seal with any of approximately a dozen well-known localities called "Tripolis." Laurent placed it under Lydia because of the prominence of the Maeander Valley from the tenth to the fourteenth centuries.