Basil Triklinios, hypatos and strategos of Anabarza (eleventh century)
DO Seals 5 no. 1.1a.
Bust of St. George with a spear held vertically in his right hand and a shield in his left. Vertical inscription in two columns: Ὁ ἅ(γιος) [Γ]εώργ(ιος). Border of dots. Vertical inscription.
Κύριε βοήθει Βασιλείῳ ὑπάτῳ καὶ στρατηγῷ Ἀναβάρζις τὸν Τρικλίννιον.
Lord help Basil Triklinios, hypatos and strategos of Anabarza.
Cheynet has published two seals of a Basil Trichinopodes protospatharios, hypatos, and strategos of Anabarza (Collection Zacos, nos. 4a and b). The reading of the family name on these seals is certain, and Cheynet has suggested that our two seals (this specimen and BZS.1918.104.22.1687) belong to the same man. We are reluctant to accept this identiﬁcation, however, as the lettering of the family name on our seals cannot be reconciled with the lettering of the name on Cheynet’s specimens. We therefore retain our restored reading Triklinios.
Anabarza, a heavily fortified town northeast of Tarsos and Adana, was taken by Nikephoros Phokas in early 962 and occupied by the Byzantines after 964. It became the seat of a strategos and remained under Byzantine control until the late eleventh century. For a list of the strategoi of Anabarza, see Cheynet, Collection Zacos, 16.
- Sceaux de la collection Zacos (Bibliothèque nationale de France), se rapportant aux provinces orientales de l’empire byzantin
- Catalogue of Byzantine Seals at Dumbarton Oaks and in the Fogg Museum of Art, Volume 5: The East (continued), Constantinople and Environs, Unknown Locations, Addenda, Uncertain Readings