You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ Constantine proedros (= metropolitan) of Madyta)

Constantine proedros (= metropolitan) of Madyta)

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5168
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 55.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1792.

Obverse

St. Stephen (left) holding censer and pyxis in form of a domed church; and St. Euthymios holding book. St. Stephen is identified by an inscription in two columns: |Ε|Φ|ΑΠΡ|Τ||.: Ὁ ἅγιος Στέφανος ὁ Πρωτωμάρτυς. The beginning of St. Euthymios' name appears in a vertical inscription in center: Ε|Υ: Ὁ ἅγιος Εὐθύμιος. No visible border.

Reverse

Inscription of four lines, decoration above. Border of dots.


σφραγισ
κ̅νΑ ε
δρνμ
αδυτ

Σφραγὶς Κωνσταντίνου πρόεδρων Μαδύτων

Translation

Σφραγὶς Κωνσταντίνου πρόεδρων Μαδύτων.

Seal of Constantine, metropolitan of Madyta.

Commentary

The inscription is prosodic: two six-syllable lines with the accent on the penultimate (cf. DO Seals 1, no. 52.1). There is an obvious engraver's error in προέδρων instead of προέδρου. For the objects held by St. Stephanos on the obverse, see G. de Jerphanion, "L'attribut des diacres dans l'art chrétien du Moyen Age en Orient," Εἰς μνήμην Σπυρίδωνος Λάμπρου (Athens, 1935) 403-16. Constantine Kaloethes, a former teacher at the patriarchal academy in Constantinople, was appointed to the see of Madyta shortly before 1204 and spent most of his life as a bishop in Nicaea: Laurent, Corpus V/3, 137-38 and Asdracha, Thrace orientale, 297.

Madyta or Madytos (modern Maïdos) was located opposite Abydos along the Hellespont. The first mention of a "bishop of Madytos" occurs at the Second Council of Nicaea (787): Μαδύτου ἤτοι Κοίλων. Darrouzès is undoubtedly correct that there was an "equivalence" of Madyta/Koila (or Kyla, which lies only slightly north of Madytos and is attested as a suffragan bishopric of Herakleia in the earliest episcopal lists: see Darrouzès, Notitiae, 275, note 163). It appears that Koila (which was in existence by 431) ceased to function as a bishopric in the later seventh century. The throne was elevated to a metropolis by Constantine X Doukas (1058-1067): Laurent, Corpus V/1, 552; Asdracha, Thrace orientale, 251-53, 296-97.

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5168
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 55.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1792.

Notes

Accession number BZS.1958.106.5168
Diameter 25 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 1, no. 55.1.
Laurent, Corpus V/3, no. 1792.

Parallels

Related Content