You are here:Home/Resources/ Byzantine Seals/ Search the Catalogue/ (The monastery of) the Theotokos Peribleptos (eleventh century)

(The monastery of) the Theotokos Peribleptos (eleventh century)

 
 

Obverse

The Mother of God standing; she seems to be holding Christ on her left arm. Visible at right: ΘΥ̅ : [Μ(ήτη)ρ] Θ(εο)ῦ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ηθκοσ
ηπερι
λεπτο.

Ἡ Θ(εοτό)κος ἡ Περίβλεπτο[ς]

Obverse

The Mother of God standing; she seems to be holding Christ on her left arm. Visible at right: ΘΥ̅ : [Μ(ήτη)ρ] Θ(εο)ῦ. Border of dots.

Reverse

Inscription of three lines. Wreath border.

ηθκοσ
ηπερι
λεπτο.

Ἡ Θ(εοτό)κος ἡ Περίβλεπτο[ς]

Accession number BZS.1951.31.5.335
Diameter 23.0 mm
Previous Editions

DO Seals 5 no. 55.1; Laurent, Corpus 5.2: no. 1176.

Translation

Ἡ Θεοτόκος ἡ Περίβλεπτος.

The Theotokos Peribleptos.

Commentary

The monastery is a foundation of Emperor Romanos III Argyros (1028–1034) and it was here that he was buried (Skylitzes, 392.10–12). The monastery was a center of resistance against the Bogomils: ODB 2:1629, and Janin, Églises, 218–22. An eleventh-century hegoumenos named Theodore is known from seals (Laurent, Corpus 5.2: nos. 1179 and 1180).